Saturday, November 17, 2012

In the Land of Weathered Cypress





  


 

 

 A few photos from late October that I've been meaning to post. Today, I'm mesmerized by the palette of soft greys and greens of the foggy, rainy Portlandia day outside my window.  Meanwhile, I'm listening to great music while finishing a painting and tending to household chores.

Ever see the musical "Music Man"? Somehow, the refrain came to me while mulling over the question of how to move forward with art goals while working and maintaining family and social obligations.  I crave long, uninterrupted blocks of time to produce art.  As in days/weeks at a time.  Not possible right now; so instead, I recently adapted and adopted the slightly modified refrain of Music Man's "Pick a Little, Talk a Little" as my mantra:  "Paint a little, blog a little. Clean a little, blog a little. Paint, paint, paint. Clean a lot, blog a little more."  I'm serious --it's working.  If you haven't seen the movie version, follow the link and watch the song being performed to the end.  You'll understand the intensity and effectiveness of my mantra. And besides, the energy of the performance is infectious :)

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend.
Thanks for stopping by!



2 comments:

Kristen Donegan said...

Those trees are magical Gloria! and I totally relate to your longing of large blocks of time...and it's so true the reality is you catch as catch can...I haven't seen this musical but will look into it- sounds intriguing- :)

All the best!

Gloria Freshley Art and Design said...

Hi Kristen, the musical is from the 1960s so it's a bit dated. I clarified my post a bit: the link is simply to the song being performed in the movie. No need to watch the musical in its entirety.:) Best. . .